The rotating drive wheel is usually equipped with a pin that reaches into a slot located in the other wheel (driven wheel) that advances it by one step at a time. The drive wheel also has an elevated circular blocking disc that "locks" the rotating driven wheel in position between steps.
- The Geneva wheel (tutorial), Cornell.
- Geneva Mechanism: its history, function, and weaknesses, The University of Nebraska.
- External Geneva drive (animation), Brock eng.
- U.S. Patent 6,183,087 – Quickermittent. Modified starwheel for fast pulldown.
- "LEGO Geneva Mechanism", Brick engineer (animation and instructions for building), Oct 7, 2007